Saturday, August 14, 2010

Heavy Rains Bring More Misery to Disaster Area in China

At least 38 people are reported missing in a new landslide Saturday in China's flood-ravaged Sichuan province, as the nation observes a day of mourning for victims of last week's massive landslide in the northwest.
The State Council ordered flags throughout China and at all Chinese embassies lowered to half-staff Sunday to honor 1,239 people killed in Gansu province.
The official announcement said public entertainment, including all games, music shows and movies, should be suspended on Sunday.
Authorities said more than 500 people are still missing in the northwestern province. Soldiers are working around the clock to clear debris from Gansu's Bailong River, to reduce the chance of further flooding with any new rainfall.
In China's southwest, landslides ravaged Wenchuan County in Sichuan Province early Saturday.
Xinhua news agency quoted a local government official as saying there were no confirmed casualty reports but that 38 people are missing. Thousands of people and vehicles were stranded on blocked roads in the area.
The same part of Sichuan was hit by a massive earthquake that killed almost 70,000 people two years ago.
Relief efforts are back on track in northwest China after new landslides blocked the road to a town in Gansu province where more than 1,100 people have died.
More than 172,000 people have been ordered to leave their houses in Guizhou and Hunan provinces because of the risk of flooding.

No comments: